Working through addiction treatment takes time and significant amounts of work. In therapy, you’ll have a professional team to guide and support you through the process. This part of the process is the hardest. However, once you are ready to embrace life without a team of constant professionals to help you, you’ll still need that motivational support. The benefits of a sponsor are numerous, which is why our team at Bayview Recovery will help you to have that type of support. To access our support, please contact us today at 855.478.3650.
What Are the Benefits of a Sponsor?
If you’re struggling through alcohol abuse and in treatment, you know how much your life is changing on a rapid basis. There’s a lot to learn, remember, and control. What happens when you go home? Having a sponsor or a person who can help you stay on track and encourage you consistently is critical to your long-term success. This person does not do the work for you but allows you to keep on top of your goals.
Consider the benefits of a sponsor after you leave rehab:
- They know what your goals and expectations are. They hold you to them, keeping you in line with your long-term goals.
- Sponsors listen. They understand your story and background. As a result, you can’t lie to them, hide something from them, or not deal with your complicated life.
- They advocate for you when there’s a need. That may mean helping you get support or aiding in standing up for what you’re working for in sobriety. This person cannot do the work for you.
- Sponsors reduce the risk of relapse. When you can pick up the phone and call someone to help you in those moments of weakness, you will be less likely to take that drink.
- They’re honest with you. If you are making poor decisions or straying from your goals, they tell you that. They are honest and open with you.
Having a sponsor like this can help to ensure you remain on the right path forward. For many, this is a critical component to care.
What If You Want the Benefits of a Sponsor But Don’t Have Someone?
When you enroll in a 12 step program or another type of aftercare treatment program, you’ll be encouraged to find a sponsor, someone that knows you and supports you. However, if you do not have someone like this, there may be options available.
For example, there are often mentors you come to know during your treatment time with us. That person may help you. You may be able to improve your relationship with close friends or family members through family therapy. Over time, they may become the sponsor you need. You have ample opportunity here to make your own decisions.
Overcoming Alcohol Abuse Starts with Bayview Recovery
If you’re ready to start on the path towards healing, the first step is to get into an alcohol abuse program. Our team works closely with you to ensure you’re ready for life outside of rehab before you leave. That ensures you do not have as many complications or steps to overcome during the process. You can learn a lot about how we do this by checking out some of our treatment therapies, including:
- Intensive outpatient program
- Partial hospitalization program
- Men’s drug rehab
- Women’s drug rehab
- Medication-assisted therapy
- Extended care program
The benefits of a sponsor in rehab are numerous because they can keep you moving forward. Even if you’re unsure you have someone willing to support you, our team at Bayview Recovery wants to help you. Learn more about our treatment options when you call 855.478.3650 or connect with our team now online.