Loving children consider parents role models who lead by example. But drug-addicted parents turn that paradigm on its head. So prevalent has this substance abuse problem become that National Surveys on Drug Use and Health indicate that 8.7 million children 17 years old or younger lived in households with a drug-addicted parent. Furthermore, 1 out of every ten children lives in a home with a parent struggling with an alcohol disorder. These statistics highlight that approximately 12 percent of all youngsters are learning to continue the tragic cycle of abuse and live in harm’s way.
Those are powerful reasons why Bayview Recovery Center provides compassionate addiction rehabilitation services that can change the trajectory of innocent children’s lives. Our Tacoma, Washington facility works closely with families dealing with addicted parents to promote healthy and productive family life.
The Impact of Drug-Addicted Parents on Children
It’s essential to understand that children are prone to emulate their parents’ behaviors, increasing their chances of falling prey to substances. They also live in a fundamentally dysfunctional household that has a debilitating effect on their education, emotional well-being and prompts bad behaviors to manifest too often. The common problems that children of drug-addicted parents suffer including:
- Children underachieve academically
- Demonstrate poor or unusual behavior in school
- Struggle with low self-esteem
- Suffer health conditions associated with anxiety and stress
- Tend to become increasingly defiant of authority figures
Drug addiction in the home also enhances the chances of physical and sexual abuse. The pervasive harmful conditions of home life may also lead youths to suffer post-traumatic stress disorder at an early age and overdose on drugs they use to self-medicate.
What innocent children require to have the best possible opportunity at a healthy and fruitful life is routine daily structure. They’ll also get adequate healthcare, a nutritious diet, a loving environment, and the moral guidance only a clean and sober parent can offer consistently. That’s why it’s critical to encourage drug-addicted parents to enter a recovery program for themselves and their children.
How Can Drug Addiction Recovery Help Families?
At Bayview Recovery Center, we offer a wide range of substance abuse programs that can promote healthy lifestyles and prevent children’s ongoing trauma. Our facility works with people who require partial hospitalization, intensive outpatient therapy, and long-term aftercare to maximize their efforts to remains clean and sober. We treat all types of substances with a focus on alcohol and heroin, among others. These are programs we offer that can help break the cycle of drug addiction for otherwise loving families.
- Individual Therapy: Our community members benefit from working closely with a therapist to address addiction’s underlying causes.
- Group Therapy: Discussing individual struggles with substance disorders with others can be extremely beneficial. This treatment helps people understand they are not alone.
- Evidence-Based Therapy: By leveraging scientific evidence to treat substance disorders, clients benefit from improving therapy outcomes. This treatment can help people navigate daily triggers.
- Medication-Based Treatment: Severely addicted people sometimes avoid going through recovery programs because they fear withdrawal symptoms. Our compassionate care professionals help people negotiate withdrawal through non-addictive medications that provide relief.
These and other recovery strategies help parents find a pathway back to healthy lifestyles. This process helps loving parents become the role models they are capable of and that their children deserve. Although the road to recovery can be challenging, our compassionate care center offers all of the resources necessary.
Contact Our Compassionate Addiction Recovery Center
At Bayview Recovery Center, we understand that overcoming addiction can seem like an impossible task. We have an experienced, professional, and caring staff to help drug-addicted parents. We’ll allow you to restore a healthy and fruitful home life for themselves and their children. If you or a loved one struggles with a substance abuse disorder, call our Tacoma center at 855.478.3650 and take the first step on the road to recovery.