Addiction damages families. Your family might be the people who bailed you out, made excuses for you, and tried to tell you to stop. They could have been the people you hurt or those who walked away when they could no longer watch what was happening. Healing family relationships is at the core of critical steps when it comes to recovery from addiction. With a family therapy program, it’s possible to work through the damage to rebuild the relationships with one another. Bayview Recovery strives to ensure you have the best opportunity to do this. For more information about our treatment options, please get in touch with Bayview Recovery today at 855.478.3650.
Why Family Relationships Matter So Much in Recovery
Do you feel that it may be hard to recover from the damage addiction has brought into your life? That’s not uncommon. Many times, it may even seem easier to leave your family alone because you’ve hurt them so much or they have disappointed you. Of course, every situation is unique, but your counselor will work with you to determine whether or not you should work to rebuild relationships.
When they are worth saving, family relationships create many opportunities for those in recovery, such as:
- Family becomes the stewards of your long-term success in addiction recovery. They are there to help you stay on the right track.
- Often, family members need education. Therapy provides that to them. They learn about your disease and how much or little control you have over what’s happened to you. That may benefit you later, too.
- Family may be critical to support you in getting back to work or school. In addition, you may need a place to live while you work on yourself.
- Often, a spouse, parent, child, or sibling can help in a crisis, such as if you relapse or thinking about relapsing. It would be best if you had that support.
- If trauma is a factor, you need to learn why and what occurred and work through it healthily. That may mean talking to family about what you’ve experienced.
These are only a few ways your family can improve your chances of recovery.
Why Should You Attend Family Therapy?
There’s never any pressure to do family therapy. Family therapy is not a place for blame. Your loved ones don’t have the chance to tell you how much you’ve ruined their lives. Instead, we’ve designed this treatment to be practical and useful as it provides you with insights into what you can do to help you thrive. It is meant to be supportive but also respectful and beneficial to your recovery.
We’ll use a wide range of therapy approaches to bring you and your family together. This includes therapy that helps you focus on helping you take ownership of what you did wrong and support programs to help you heal from the pain others cause.
We do family therapy with one or two other people in a private session. You’ll have opportunities to talk openly, but there is a lot of control to protect the entire process. It’s not about blame, but talking and learning new skills to work together.
Start the Process of Healing by Calling Bayview Recovery Today
Family therapy is so important because it is one of the core tools we offer to help individuals recover from addiction. Some of the other treatments we offer include:
- Individual therapy programs
- Group therapy programs
- Trauma therapy programs
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy programs
Family relationships are at the core of your long-term recovery success. Working to heal them is possible if you embrace treatment for drug or alcohol addiction. Bayview Recovery wants to help you. We’re committed to your success. Take the time to reach out to us online to learn more, or call our compassionate counselors at 855.478.3650 to get started.